- Responding to the growing awareness of climate change amongst patients and healthcare providers, Orion conducted a comprehensive life cycle assessment (LCA) for one of their key products, Easyhaler®
- Greenhouse gas emissions throughout Easyhaler® lifecycle have been minimised, and the remaining emissions are offset through reforestation and forest protection projects in the Amazon and the UK
- This makes Easyhaler® the first certified carbon neutral dry powder inhaler globally
A growing awareness of climate change is driving whole nations and industries to cut carbon emissions. This is also true for healthcare. Climate impact is becoming an increasingly important concern for healthcare providers and patients alike when choosing a therapy for asthma or COPD.
For Orion, the fight against climate change means concrete actions to minimize greenhouse gas emissions across the supply chain and throughout our products’ lifecycle. To push climate action in the pharma industry, Orion Corporation is committed to reaching companywide carbon neutrality by 2030.
Easyhaler®, one of Orion’s key products, is a propellant-free dry powder inhaler (DPI). When considering the climate impact of inhalation therapy, DPIs have a minimal carbon footprint compared to pressurised metered-dose inhalers (pMDIs).1
The carbon footprint of Easyhaler® was assessed for the first time in 2020.2 In 2021, Orion conducted a comprehensive life cycle assessment (LCA) for the whole Easyhaler® product family currently available for treatment of asthma and COPD.3 It covered raw material extraction, upstream materials preparation, transportation, manufacture, processing and assembly, distribution, and disposal. Based on the LCA, the cradle-to-grave carbon footprint for an Easyhaler® product is 0.580 kg CO2 equivalent.3 More information about Easyhaler® carbon footprint is available in the LCA executive summary available at Orion.fi.3
In 2021, Orion is proud to declare the Easyhaler® as carbon neutral. Carbon neutrality is achieved by minimising CO2 emissions across the entire supply chain and throughout our products’ lifecycle. Remaining emissions are offset through projects that protect the world’s lungs—forests in the Amazon and the UK. Offsetting is achieved by support of reforestation and forest protection projects.
Bufomix (budesonide/formoterol) Easyhaler® is the only Easyhaler® preparation available in the Republic of Ireland.
Date of preparation: October 2021 / EASYH-1519(1)
|Adverse effects should be reported. You can report side effects directly via the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) website: www.hpra.ie or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Adverse effects should also be reported to Orion Pharma via email@example.com|
- Montreal protocol on substances that deplete the ozone layer. Medical and chemicals technical options committee. Assessment report 2018.
- Carbon life cycle assessment report for Orion Corporation, Orion Pharma. Executive summary. Carbon Footprint Ltd 2020. Available at: Orion.fi
- Carbon life cycle assessment report for Orion Corporation, Orion Pharma. Executive summary. Carbon Footprint Ltd 2021. Available at: Orion.fi